We all have “secret single behavior”. I’m sure of this. I’ve been single for a while now, and I was thinking about all my guilty little secrets, nothing earth shattering of course, but here are a few of mine. I’m not sure if I’d have the luxury of doing these things if I was in a relationship …
- I could sit on the couch all day watching episode after episode of Law & Order SVU, NCIS (the NY or LA version), or any other completely trashy bad reality show (I’m looking at you Real Housewives of _____ and any other Bravo TV show! I think there have been MONTHS at a time where my channel did not get changed.)
- The Wegmans Olive Bar. I routinely spend a redonkulous amount of $$ on various olives, peppadews and hummus and I eat it all for lunch :)
- Taking photos of the sky from my car. Also, stopping my car to take a photo just because I see a pretty view of whatever it is I’m looking at.
- My bedtime rituals … lip balm, hair up in a bun, pj pants and a tank top all snuggled on top of 6 pillows and into 4 blankets while reading on my kindle.
- Spending the day, the entire day, with my nieces & nephew. It’s my favorite thing to do. I don’t know if I could spend as much time with them if I was in a relationship. I would definitely have to allocate my free time differently.
- Filling my iPhone with MY favorite music - even if it is ALL DMB or OAR or Salsa Music. I can dance around my apartment cleaning to my favorites and nobody is any the wiser ;)
- Having conversations with my kitties. The little white kitten is deaf. His self esteem will definitely be lower than KiKi Moo Moo’s, as I frequently tell them how stinking CUTE they are. Yes, I’m probably going to be a card carrying member of the cat lady society, but that’s ok with me :)
I don’t know if any of these things/behaviors are particularly secret or weird, but I definitely think they’d be different if I was in a relationship or married. As much as I’d love to be with someone and have that commitment and companionship, sometimes, being single isn’t so bad. I like not having anyone to “answer to”. I like doing what I want when I want and being able to lavish all my free time on my favorite littles, being able to hang out with my C. Monster, doing anything we want to do (he’s a teenager, so he frequently likes his friends better than me lately *frowny face*).
I suppose I will “learn to love the skies that I am under”, as Mumford & Sons directs me to do … and indulge in all my little favorite idiosyncrasies.